Sonore MicroRendu

tuxx

Supreme Member
3 January 2014
/dev/null
Το microRendu είναι μια Linux transport υλοποίηση από την Sonore:

http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/

Software Features:
- Supports the following PCM sample rates up to: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, and 768kHz.
- Supports the following DSD sample rates up to: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512.
- Not all USB devices or output modes support the maximum sample rate of the unit.
- Running Logitech Media Server locally allows playback of local radio stations and streaming services.
- Logitech Media Server allows you to use the unit as a UPNP server in combination with Drive Mounter.
- There is a Software Manager that allows you to install and uninstall apps as needed.
- BubbleUPNP Server app allows any renderer to take advantage of the OhMedia - OpenHome protocol.
- OhMedia - OpenHome protocol allows the Linn Kinsky and Linn Kazoo Apps with playlist support to be used as controllers.
- Supports Tidal and Qobuz lossless streaming in Squeezelite output mode and DLNA output mode.
- Native DSD is supported on certain DACs.
- The unit is controlled via third party apps on your mobile device and on your computer.

Hardware Features

- External power input jack
- RJ45 input connector
- USB audio output connector
- Micro SD port for operating system
- High quality low noise and ultra low noise regulators
- Fixed frequency low jitter oscillators
- Multicore processor with DDR3 RAM

Παρότι στο website τους δίνουν ελάχιστες πληροφορίες, παραθέτω και ένα κείμενο από review στο computeraudiophile, μην μπορώντας εννοείται να διασταυρώσω τίποτε απ' όλα αυτά:

The microRendu's hardware was no small task to design. It took John Swenson over a year to get it right. This often meant getting new boards produced with the smallest of tweaks to eke out the final ounces of performance. In fact very close to the data of launch, Jesus decided to throw away all the newly delivered boards because of a single design change. This change could have been made to the existing boards after the fact, but this team is all about perfection. So, out went the "production" boards and a new order was placed.

At a high level, the microRendu consists of a tiny processor module (System On Module) that's directly connected to a carrier board. The processor module contains an i.MX6 chip with a dual core processor and RAM. The processor module is attached to the carrier board via two 80 pin headers. It's this carrier board combined with custom software that separates the men from the boys and turns the microRendu into a true audiophile class component.

The carrier board contains the regulators, oscillators, USB port, and Ethernet port. Let's start with the Ethernet input and work our way to the USB output. The microRendu contains a 10/100/1000 Gbps Ethernet interface. This interface is limited to 470 Mbps due to the internal i.MX6 bus. Audiophile needn't worry about this "limitation" because 470 Mbps is still hundreds of Mbps more than is required for even the highest resolution audio files. The microRendu features signal conditioning, signal isolation, and EMI suppression on this Ethernet input in part by using a radical power network with multiple regulators between the power to the Ethernet PHY and the power to the USB subsystem. These regulators have a very high power supply rejection ration or PSSR. The PSSR is used to describe the amount of noise that can be rejected from a source of power. Readers familiar with commercial motherboards built to hit the lowest price point will understand this is a huge difference because those cheap boards don't contain much isolation between the power to the Ethernet PHY and USB subsystem. This extensive design may be responsible for some of the network immunity or lack of sensitivity I've found with the microRendu. No matter what I do prior to the Ethernet input of the unit, the sound remains the same. Even using CAT7 shielded cables that break the inherent galvanic isolation of Ethernet by using connected shields on both ends.

The carrier board features a very low jitter oscillator that feeds the hub chip, PLL, and clock network that has anything to do with the USB subsystem. The other on-chip oscillator is used to drive the processor and memory. This is where the software customization comes into play. The design team was able to shut off the processor module's internal oscillator circuit and externally clock the chip from the much better oscillators on the carrier board. Just like externally clocking a DAC, Sonore changed the reference clock of the PLLs to point to the external clock that's fed with the low jitter main clock.

The microRendu has extremely low ground noise due in part to its design and linear regulators, but also because everything not used for audio purposes has been eliminated or completely shut off. There are many noisy processor circuits not simply unused, but totally shut off.

The USB output of the microRendu is equally as special as anything else contained on the carrier board. Most, if not all, commercial motherboards contain extremely noisy DC to DC converters and switch mode regulators. Thus, even though an expensive linear power supply may be used on the outside, the power signal is going through a gauntlet of garbage once it hits the motherboard on its way to the USB output that feeds power to the USB DAC. It's like running a linear supply though a terrible switching supply in order to feed one's DAC. This isn't the case with the microRendu. The incoming power goes through a linear regulator on its way out the USB port and on to the USB DAC. This ultra clean path completely avoids switching regulators.

In addition the design of the microRendu's USB architecture generates a completely new USB data signal and is highly optimized for signal integrity and impedance matching. To quote John Swenson, designer of both the microRendu and USB REGEN, "The microRendu does contain a circuit which is essentially an improved REGEN. There is no need to add an external REGEN between it and a DAC."

The microRendu requires between 6 and 9 volts of power. During its approximately twenty-five second boot time it peaks at about 0.4A and during regular playback settles in at about 0.2A. Using the forthcoming Sonore 7V power supply provided for this review by Sonore, the microRendu uses 1.4 watts during playback.

One of the beauties of the microRendu's design is its' separate power supply domains. The individual supply domains receive the appropriate regulation scheme for their functions. The processor domain uses a high quality switching regulator since it requires low voltage at high current.

The PLLs that generate clock signals for many different systems use a single ultra low noise regulator, while the USB subsystem uses three ultra low noise regulators.

One additional note about the hardware design. One of the first items I noticed upon receiving my unit was the SD card. This card is required, as it's loaded with the operating system. I figured that storing the OS on FLASH (eMMC embedded MultiMedia Card) or NVRAM would have been a better option. It's a good thing I didn't attempt to design the microRendu because my figuring was a bit off. According to John Swenson, "The i.MX6 has three memory subsystems, the DDR3, which we need to use for the main memory of the system, a very small simple, low power SD card subsystem, and the generic everything else memory subsystem. The later is what you use for NVRAM, flash chips etc. It is a large complex system designed to run very fast. This uses a lot of power and generates a lot of noise in the chip. "

The SD card controller is slow, low power and generates very little noise, and on top of that has its own power supply pins on the chip which cuts down even more on the noise it generates. So by using the SD card rather than something like NVRAM I can drastically cut down on the noise in the chip. There are also things like SSDs, but they all need some form of high power bus to talk to (SATA, PCIE etc), which would mean I would have to turn on those subsystems.

On the reliability front, I have actually found that using on board FLASH or NVRAM is actually less reliable. I have worked with several embedded boards over the last few years that have had flash chips, that have had problems far more often than ones that run straight off an SD card. I think it has to do with where the controller is. With SD card the flash controller is built into the card, the software doesn't have to know anything about that. The inexpensive flash chips used with these systems do not have a built in controller, they require the OS to deal with the issues specific to flash memory. Linux has some good code for this, but if something happens with the kernel during runtime, it is very easy for the flash to get corrupted. I had one board that if power went out during boot the flash was guaranteed to be corrupted."

The SD card simply clicks into the microRendu and sits there without requiring any user intervention. If the OS is somehow corrupted or there's a problem with the unit, a new SD card can be placed into the slot very easily. I like this option much better than sending the unit back to Sonore to get re-flashed if onboard solid state storage was used.

Έχει 5 modes λειτουργίας καλύπτοντας την πλειοψηφία των γνωστών και κυρίαρχων λύσεων του Linux Audio αυτή τη στιγμή:

Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with a SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Σύμφωνα με το παρακάτω manual:

http://docs.sonore.us/microrendu/

έχει web interface με στόχο την πρόσβαση στις ρυθμίσεις της συσκευής.

To κόστος του είναι 640$ χωρίς τροφοδοτικό και 690$ με το ifi power.

Σχόλια:

- Από πλευράς software φαίνεται ότι δίνουν πολλές και ενδιαφέρουσες συνταγές ικανές να καλύψουν την πλειοψηφία των αναγκών σε Computer transport αυτή τη στιγμή.

- Από πλευράς hardware δεν μας λένε απολύτως τίποτα. Πιθανολογώ ότι πρόκειται για μια custom ARM based πλατφόρμα στα χνάρια των RPI, Odroid κλπ, υποτίθεται με ιδιαίτερη προσοχή στη σχεδίαση της πλακέτας για καλύτερη απόδοση (δίνουν ελάχιστες πληροφορίες για όλα αυτά).

- Τα reviews του είναι διθυραμβικά. Προσωπικά πέρα από το πως είναι υλοιποημένο το software (έυχρηστο/δύσχρησυο κλπ) δεν μπορώ να φανταστώ ότι μια τέτοια υλοποίηση μπορεί να αποδώσει καλύτερα από τις γνωστές εδώ και χρόνια DIY ανάλογες υλοποιήσεις, στις οποίες φαίνεται να έχει πατήσει ξεκάθαρα. Εδώ πρέπει βέβαια να σημειωθεί ότι σύφμφωνα με τη Sonore έχει γίνει ειδική σχεδίαση στο board για την καλύτερη δυνατή audio απόδοση με ότι και αν σημαίνει αυτό για τη σημασία του στο τελικό ηχητικό αποτέλεσμα.

- Το κοινό στο οποίο απευθύνεται είναι κυρίως χρήστες που δεν θέλουν να ασχοληθούν καθόλου, τόσο ως προς το hardware αλλά και ως προς το software κομμάτι και θέλουν να δώσουν το διόλου ευκαταφρόνητο τίμημα των 600+ ευρώ για να έχουν ήσυχο το κεφάλι τους.

Last edited:

DomieMic65

Supreme Member
10 July 2006
Αθήνα
εχει γίνει μεγάλος ντόρος με το microrendu ομως έχει ένα σοβαρό θέμα.... ΔΕΝ το λες και φτηνό!!!
πάντως πρέπει να είναι πολύ καλή περίπτωση!!!