Philips Screeneo S6

Stergios Giotas

AVClub Enthusiast
4 November 2006
Νέος 4K LED DLP smart projector από τη Philips στα 1700 ευρώ.

Télécommande-et-Philips-SCREENEO-S6-848x1024.jpg

LED service life: up to 30,000 operating hours
DLP projection technology
HDR Support: HDR10 and HLG
Brightness: up to 2000 lumens (DCI-P3 / 125% Rec.709 / HDR10 / HLG)
Dualband Wi-Fi AC Wireless Dualband and Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Technologies
Screen mirroring with Miracast and AirPlay
Integrated media player
Integrated Android system with 16 GB internal memory
Connection options: 2x HDMI / 2x USB / S/PDIF / Fast Ethernet
Sound power: 2 x 7 Watt
Easy installation with Auto Keystone, 4-corner corrections

TEST PHILIPS SCREENEO S6

Let's go in four directions: Philips Projection is reborn from the ashes. After the disappointment of Xgem, the video projection branch of the famous and more than 100-year-old Dutch brand experienced its crossing the desert: it has just ended. Indeed, after the rather successful test of the SCREENEO U3, here is the new Philips phoenix, the S6, has 4K DLP LED projector that returns to bring up the colors of the giant with orange roots, which is good in this Mandarin era. And what could be better than to share with your first test with measurements?

This model is part of a range of 3 front LED diffusers, the S2, S4 and S6. Only the device I am testing today is equipped with a second generation DMD 0.47 chip (and not a first one you mistakenly Indicated on the blog of a broad French-speaking online sales website) qui Allows, thanks to the XPR engine, to quadruple by wobulation the native 1080P resolution.
The Philips SCREENEO S6 is part of the new generation of devices called "smart projectors", an all-in-one projection solution that is independent of any additional home cinema equipment.
Dear readers, I have-been hammering it for Several months now on this blog, compact thesis devices with long-lasting LED or Laser light source and perfectly adapté to the current consumption of video products (Oriented Towards streaming and dematerialized content) are the future of video projection. In my opinion, they represent the only credible alternative to the world of flat screens, which they can be multiple in the same household, are fixed and do not provide the cinema sensation of a large image. And the traditional tube floodlights will be more likely to be transportable, more instantaneous and less energy consuming. It is time to embark together to discuss this new battle for the future of home projection.

PRESENTATION

The first Screeneo was a nice idea, in line with what Philips, the European innovation craftsman (miniK7, CD, laser-disc, etc.), has always done, and it was a deserved success. But now the established brands, leaders in the smart projectors field, are: LG, Xgimi, JmGO and Xiaomi. Incursions have been made by BenQ, Optoma and ViewSonic in this same niche, but the market is mainly dominated by the Asian manufacturers mentioned above.
Philips Projection has chosen to rely on JmGO's expertise for its S-series projectors, including the one being tested today. It exists in an imported version under the reference X3 but with no specific applications for the European market.

Philips therefore uses JmGO's hardware and has developed specific firmware on an Android engine to drive the whole thing, it has so requested that hardware changes change). The S6 is available for 1799 . It obviously benefits from a 2-year European warranty and local after-sales service (which is not the case for equipment from China).

On the PassionHomeCinema.com 4K LED smart projectors, the Optoma UHL55 and the ViewSonic X10-4K, the results were rather average. Remember that the restitution of a 4K HDR signal requires more light than that of a 1080P SDR program. The new Philips SCREENEO S6 is announced with a brightness of 2000 lumens1 thanks to 4 latest generation RGBB LEDs and a lifetime of 30000 hours.

(1) The ANSI lumen is the common value measured by the brightness of the projector. LED technology, however, challenges. The 3 LEDs of the Philips SCREENEO S6, one for each basic color (red, green, blue), mix the colors of the picture on the screen in the same way as the school's watercolors.

Unlike conventional UHP projector lamps, LEDs offer high and constant color brightness, a balanced color spectrum and better color saturation. The comparison of live images entre a tube projector LED model and year of the Saami power Ansi Systematically shows the advantage of LEDs through the so-called Helmholtz Kohlrausch effect (a kind of kiss-kool effect; this HAS-been already MENTIONED).

"Technical verdict" part of the "visual verdict", which is not reflected in the visual effect, which is latter's advantage. However, for the moment.

The Philips Screeneo S6 is built around the 2019 generation 4K DLP XPR2 (native 1920 × 1080) chip. The light perimeter with the associated pollution that the 4K DLP projectors of 2017 and 2018 is reduced here. The S6 integrates the Android operating system with Wifi (802.11) a / b / g / g / n / ac 2.4 and 5GHz connectivity and Bluetooth (standard 4.0). It is compatible with Airplay and Miracast protocols.

The built-in media player allows the playback of videos and photos (MKV, MOV, MPG, MP4, AVI, 1080p and 4K HDR files, audio: MP2, MP3, AAC, AC3, PCM, ADPCM). It is also possible thanks to AirPlay and Miracast to wirelessly project the media content of your mobile phone or tablet. Philips, to remember its invention in 1963 of the mini audio cassette - a planetary revolution at the time - even integrated a reader for these ancient magnetic coils!
Its optical compartment is electrically controlled for focus and the camera has no zoom. It is so that it will determine the image size. With a projection ratio of 1.2, you will need a 3 meter recoil to obtain a 2 meter image base. An electronic keystone correction device on 4-axis allows an image to be projected without distortion. The presence of a motorized optical compartment and an automatic sharpness adjustment device is to be welcomed. It is possible to operate with the remote control and thus obtaining surgical precision throughout the screen. The whole thing also has the good taste to lose focus during viewing; for the moment, these gentlemen from Xgimi would like to take inspiration from it.

The keystone correction offers the possibility of spreading the projector horizontally 45 ° from the center of the screen.
The Philips Screeneo S6 is a 4K projector compatible with the HDR-10 and HLG programs. It also has 3D capability with DLP-Link.

PHYSICAL TOUR

Its compact dimensions (231 × 228 × 140mm) and its weight of 3.9 kg make it easy to transport. It is for this reason and its all-in-one concept that it has taken its place in my selection of summer projectors.

Its white shell is overmounted by a central circle illuminated by indicative LEDs that alternately change from blue (device on) to red (device configured to Bluetooth external speaker) to white (projector on). It should be remembered that LEDs allow switching on and off without waiting for preheating or cooling.

With its two 7 Watt Speakers, the S6 has the ability to be easily used as an external speaker. Indeed, it took me just 3 seconds to my mobile phone with the S6 and play music. The gray loudspeaker grilles are retractable and allow you to come with a duster or vacuum cleaner to remove the dust that would accumulate: well thought out.

The projector can be placed in a table or ceiling position. In addition to the wireless connection capabilities described in the "presentation" section, the 2 HDMI 2.0 HCDP sockets and 2 USB connectors (1 × 3.0 and 1 × 2.0) can be added. In the table position, the feet will be allowed to be raised. The Screeneo S6 is not equipped with Lens-shift.
The white remote control is identical to the Philips SCREENEO U3. If it does not have a very useful lighting during night projection, it is equipped with a very practical option, namely a gestural mouse. www.lilo.org/fr/] ;-).
If you are a Netflix subscriber, you will be able to use this mouse to get access to the mouse. projector.

MENUS

The welcome visual interface and Android menus are similar to Those of JmGO. Pre-installed applications are nothing less than Netflix, Youtube, Kodi, VLC. The projector has a specific media player (excluding Kodi and VLC) accessible through the file system. The Android awning is also pre-installed, unlike Xgimi H2, well stocked.

Pressing the parameter button gives access to the Android menus, in which there is an image with 4 LED brightness settings (economy, standard, bright and custom) and more image interpolation management (sharp, standard, fluid, disengaged).

Philips engineers have developed several image modes that are only accessible when a film is shown. They are called Jaap, Willem, Geertruijd and Huijbert ... no, those are the names of the engineers, sorry! The modes are called "Vivid, Natural, Soft, Game and User". "Standard, cinema, Presentation and user" (I know, it complicates it, your servant had a hard time himself at first;)).

The 3D program management interface is also controllable only when it is "logical" it is necessary, to have access to it, to first go through the selection of "sources". I've seen better on this one.

TECHNICAL VERDICT

Operating noise:

Even with LEDs operating at maximum brightness, the Screeneo S6 remains discreet. I measured the 32dB by the manufacturer, which is a first in terms of sound adequacy!

Prickly and sharp:

Autophotography, it is possible to get a result of amazing accuracy for this small 4K projector!
With a 4K test pattern adapted from the AVSForums series, we can see that sharpness and precision are present with UHD signals, even though the SCREENEO S6 does not have a DLP matrix with 3840 × 2160 native resolution.

Look at each of the squares in the center and the 4K HDR test pattern at https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/

Fluidity:

Philips SCREENEO S6 is equipped with a fluidity support mode called "motion compensation", which ensures a smooth image with high motion sharpness. The device operates in Full HD, 3D and 4K UHD. In the dedicated menu, you can choose between 4 levels of interpolation image: "off, sharp, standard and fluid" via the Android menus or "off, low, medium and high" via the image settings. With the Medium and High settings, artifacts can appear in extremely difficult scenes. The best results are obtained with the "net" or "low" selection.
Fortunately, this system exists because otherwise the judder is very present.

HDMI hook and source change:

Since the appearance of 4K projectors and after having experienced frustrations in the field of synchronization problems, I consider that part of my assessments to this point. In this field, the new Philips is a model student: no time delay on a source of change and no HDMI synchronization problem in 4K.

Input lag:

The manufacturer has implemented a "Gamer" mode to reduce delay to 4K to 119 ms, which is far too much for network gamers with a need for ultra-fast response. In the dedicated mode, this value falls below 50 ms with, to be more precise, a 42.2 ms delay measured in 60hz UHD. The Philips Screeneo S6 is not the best in this field but it could be considered for a Gaming approach.

Overscan and defect of light frame:

My overscan UHD test pattern displays all the symbols that should appear on the screen, ie, the projected image of the screen, which is the case with the S6.
DLP 4K chip, the Screeneo S6 is equipped with the latest version with the reduced edge, as on the BenQ W1720 / W2700 or W5700, so it no longer impacts the measured contrast gold is disturbing for the viewer.

Contrast and brightness:

I would like to draw your attention once again to the fact that it is not the same as that of the Helmholtz Kohlrausch effect mentioned at the beginning of this test. With equal measurements an LED projector will look brighter than a tube projector.
This light is also needed to restore a 4K HDR image, so it does not appear anemic or too dark. The SMPTE recommendations for home cinema are 16 fL of luminance for 1080p SDR programs and 26 fL for 4K HDR programs.

Which, from my measurements, allows us to deduce that the Screeneo S6 with its 1013 lumens is capable of projecting a Full HD SDR image with accurate colors on a 16: 9 screen from a 3m20 basis while maintaining this 16 fL luminance limit.

For the 4K HDR it will be necessary to reduce its ambitions to a screen of 2m55 to benefit from 26 fL, it is already not so bad. Those who would consider larger image bases in 4K HDR are encouraged to try it with the beneficial impact of the HK effect on perceived brightness in mind.

The same situation applies to the native contrast, which seems to be very low (and not supported by an amplification device). With 534/1 measured after calibration, we remain in the values ​​of LED headlamps recently tested. This is really where these projectors still need to make significant progress.

Colorimetry and Gamma:

The use of LEDs as a light source allows the Screeneo S6 to offer a wider range than that of a tube projector. This feature will allow it to benefit from stronger and more saturated colors. With everything, this particularity does not allow it to reach 100% of the references of the digital cinema color space and even less so of the Rec. 2020. After calibration I obtain 115.9% of Rec.709, 85.5% of DCI-P3 and 61.3% of Rec. 2020.

For RGB levels, the Screeneo S6 shows in its economic, standard and bright modes, which makes it possible to increase energy consumption. To get closer to 6500K, I applied the following values:

CINEMA
USER SELECTION MODE
R: 79
V: 2
B: 18
CONTRACT: 40
BRIGHTNESS: 45

Under these conditions, the S6 loses half its luminous power.

The gamma is at 2.18 while being linear, and fortunately because the adjustment options are reduced. You only have access to contrast, brightness, sharpness, hue and saturation. RGB levels can be corrected but not so much of the gray scale (Gain / Bias). No CMS (Color Mangement System is present).
However, it is possible with the values ​​mentioned above to obtain an image with correct colors.

SUBJECTIVE OPINION

1080P SDR:

Philips projector in Full HD and UHD. If its acquisition can be considered to 4K movies, the vast majority of our current sources remain in 1080P SDR. It is true that you may also want to enjoy your personal works, knowing that today's cameras or cameras commonly shoot in 4K.

For dematerialized content in 1080P I got the best visual results with Kodi compared to VLC and the Android media player. Here I place photos from the image projected by the S6 Screeneo we have 2m50 screen on the film The Revenant.

After positioning the sharpness towards +20, to avoid the appearance of video noise, the show is great and the 1080P sources take advantage of the 4K XPR simulation. The wide shots are full of detail and the dynamics of the image is impressive. Despite the figures and thanks to an adapted technical screen which is for many I did not feel any weakness in the night scenes.

4K HDR:

Although I am a Netflix subscriber, my internet connection does not allow me to benefit from a 4K HDR image with this streaming service and it is a pity because it is an element that I would like to show in my tests. Anyway, the integrated application is not restricted and I was able to enjoy all of my favorite series and movies in 1080P.

The Philips Screeneo S6 supports standard HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma). With 4K resolution, the High Dynamic Range (HDR) becomes more and more important. In addition to streaming services (Amazon Prime, Netflix), UHD Blu-Ray, 4K Games (Playstation, PC, Xbox), traditional TV providers like Sky offers 4K HLG programs.

he good brightness and a suitable EOTF gamma give the S6 Screeneo the power to project an HDR image with detail and dynamics in bright scenes. The dark scenes benefit from the transition to HDR-10 with a higher contrast compared to SDR sources.

In summary, the new Philips Screeneo S6 is comfortable with all current audiovisual programs. Finally, I would like to point out that the audio part does not make the whole picture, far from it, because of the fact that it is distinguished by its sharpness and precision. Practical, the success of this audiovisual solution, as complete as it is satisfactory, can be considered and encouraged, for example at friends' homes, at your holiday destination, etc.

CONCLUSION

What a wonderful rebirth this Screeneo has had, at least for me who has a fan of video projection. It is much more convincing than the recently tested U3, and the UST Screeneo U3 model remained anchored at a generalist level (which is not pejorative) and did not target purists. The new Philips DLP 4K projector is aiming for both video projection enthusiasts (I'm obviously in) and beginners.

All the qualifications noted in this test lead me to the first Gold Award PHC.FR to a Philips projector. The choice of JmGO has the basis for the S6 has been beneficial and I hope that the S2 and S4 to be in the same line.

While its performance makes me prefer the Screeneo S6 to the Optoma HL55 and ViewSonic X10-4K, I nevertheless recommend that Philips Projection consider the target audience to be around 1600, which would allow it to be established with pricing and performance. and the Optoma / ViewSonic competition.

Anyway, the future buyers of this product will benefit from a 4K DLP image with many visual qualities and that's the main thing, is not it?

(*) The K7 reader is obviously a joke! But a little history of the technologies of the old continent never hurts.)

I appreciated it:

The quality of assembly,
The daily ease of use of an LED projector,
A more complete application than competitive models,
The all-in-one concept,
The sharpness of the image,
The brightness,
The power of colors,
The quality of the integrated sound system,
Discretion of operation,
The remote control with integrated mouse.
I regret:

Even if the price remains below 2000 , 1799 seems to me too much compared to the competing prices placed just below 1500 .
Incomplete colorimetry management menus,
The average contrast,
Perfect fluidity without image interpolation.

Το πλήρες ριβιού με φωτογραφίες εδώ: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/bl...19/test-philips-screeneo-s6-lavis-de-gregory/