HDMI 1.3 Q&A

17 June 2006
3,004
HDMI 1.3 has been the talk of the forums lately. Everyone wants to know what's going on with the new spec and what it means to the current and future crop of AV devices. We were fortunate enough to be able to do a brief Question and Answer exchange with Leslie Chard, President of HDMI Licensing, LLC to get a better idea of the recent changes to the HDMI spec. In particular we were interested in both the audio and video differences found in HDMI 1.3. Here is the result of our Q&A session.


What specifically does HDMI 1.3 add to the 1.2a spec in terms of audio Video format support?
HDMI 1.3 can support new formats and capabilities in both audio and video areas. HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps).
With this increased bandwidth capability, HDMI 1.3 supports the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, high frame rates and Deep Color. Let’s look at each of these specifically to see what it means to end users.
  • Higher resolution – HDMI 1.3 can provide over 450% the resolution of 720p HDTV, and over 225% of 1080p HDTV for greater detail and larger display sizes.
 

Attachments

  • HDMI13resolution_th  1.gif
    HDMI13resolution_th 1.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
17 June 2006
3,004
Higher refresh rates. We are increasingly seeing a demand for display panels with a 90Hz refresh rate. We expect this trend to continue, as faster refresh rates create smoother motion and less blurring in motion sequences. This will have an especially significant impact on the gaming market, where we will see not only improved motion sequences, but also faster response times. HDMI 1.3 does not specify an upper limit to frame rates and it is expected that rates as high as 120Hz will be found.
Deep Color – HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

  • This will enable HDTVs and other displays to go from millions of colors to billions of colors.
  • Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors (See picture below)
  • Enables increased contrast ratio
  • Deep Color displays can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, a four times improvement would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.
The chart below illustrates the relationship between bit depth and the number of possible colors:
 

Attachments

  • colordepth_th 2.gif
    colordepth_th 2.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 15
  • standardcolor_th 3.jpg
    standardcolor_th 3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 28
17 June 2006
3,004
The new xvYCC color standard is a real innovation. Current color standards represent only a small portion of colors that are viewable by the human eye. Take a look at the diagram (below). This is a standard type of diagram used to display color spaces (the colors that can be depicted by a given device). The shaded area represents the colors in nature that the human eye can see. The triangle is a representation of the RGB color space. These are the colors that this color space can define. As you can see, this means that such devices cannot accurately represent many colors that exist in nature – leading to the sometimes “cartoony” look that you see on some displays. What is worse is that current display technologies, such as backlit LCD displays, can display colors far beyond those described by previously existing color space standards. R B G.

By implementing the xvYCC color space standard, HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection and supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals. This is because the xvYCC color space standard defines colors by means of an algorithm that can specify any color in nature. This lets HDTVs display colors more accurately and with more natural and vivid colors. The first TV to use this standard was the Sony Bravia, which premiered at the 2006 CES in Las Vegas.
 

Attachments

  • CIE_th 4.jpg
    CIE_th 4.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 10
17 June 2006
3,004
In terms of audio, HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ which provide up to 8 channels of lossless surround sound. This will give users the highest quality audio experience – the same as in the movie theater.

Based on your conversations and interactions with manufacturers, when do you think we might start seeing HDMI 1.3-enabled display and AV processing devices (e.g. this year, next year)?
According to announcements by manufacturers, new high-definition DVD formats (HD-DVD and Blu-ray) and game machines (including the Sony PLAYSTATION® 3) will make use of capabilities added in HDMI 1.3. Digital televisions will be able to present images that are closer to real life than previously has been possible. These will include LCD TVs, plasma displays and rear projection microdisplays. The PS3 which is scheduled to ship in November 2006, will be the first source product to provide such high quality imagery to these displays. It is expected that hi-def DVD players will follow early in 2007 with HDMI 1.3 support. A/V Receivers that can decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD will start to show up early in 2007 as well. Please check with the manufacturers for details.

Will lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD be supported in up to 7.1 formats?

According to the Dolby web site, Dolby TrueHD can support more than 8 audio channels. According to the DTS web site, DTS-HD offers 7.1 channel capability. Current specifications for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray limit the audio to eight channels.


Did any cabling or tolerance parameters change for the specification?
HDMI 1.3 increased the single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (or 4.95 gigabits/second) to 340MHz (or 10.2 gigabits/second). This was accomplished through the addition of receiver cable equalization, which is technology present in the HDMI receiver chip (in the display) that compensates for the signal deterioration caused by cables. In addition, source pre-emphasis (which emphasizes bit transitions) and source termination (which minimizes noise generation by the connectors) are now permitted for higher speed devices.


What part did the new gaming consoles, Blu-ray, and HD DVD technologies play in structuring the new specification?
The HDMI Founders include many Consumer Electronics leaders who design, manufacture and sell the gamut of consumer electronic components and devices. The HDMI standard continues to evolve to allow manufacturers to bring the most advanced technologies to market. The HDMI standard does not react to any one specific category of product. Rather, the products that are now being released represent the latest innovations from these companies and the HDMI standard reflects the need to support such industry innovations.


Are there mandatory and non-mandatory audio and/or video formats present in the latest format?
HDMI 1.3 was created to support new higher-bandwidth audio and video formats; however, it is the prerogative of each manufacturer to take advantage of these capabilities. None of these new audio or video formats are mandatory. We do not want to mandate functionality, and increase product prices, where it is not needed.


Does HDMI 1.3 specifically address any PC market issues? Yes. The increased bandwidth (with support of 1440p/WQXGA monitors) now supports all current PC monitors that ship today. Further, 1.3’s Deep Color capabilities support a clear trend in the development of PC display capabilities.

¨Πηγή: http://www.audioholics.com/
 
Last edited:
17 June 2006
1,230
Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

ΜΑΝΩΛΗΣ ΚΑΣΤΡΟΥΝΗΣ said:
Higher refresh rates. We are increasingly seeing a demand for display panels with a 90Hz refresh rate. We expect this trend to continue, as faster refresh rates create smoother motion and less blurring in motion sequences.


Δεν υπάρχει μεγαλύτερη αλήθεια από αυτή!

Και μην περιμένετε φυσικά, ότι ακόμα και 1080 προβολέα να πάρετε που να αναγνωρίζει αυτόματα τα 1080p/24fps (λέγεται ότι το bluray της Pioneer θα είναι το πρώτο με τέτοια έξοδο και HDMI 1.3) και να κλειδώνει αυτόματα στα 48Hz, θα πάρετε καμμιά αξιοπρεπή κίνηση! Απλώς τα πράγματα θα είναι ελαφρά βελτιωμένα, αλλά τίποτα το ιδιαίτερο.

Όσο παραμένουν τα αρχικά 24 καρέ, δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να δούμε αξιοπρεπή κίνηση. Αν οι κάμερες τραβούσαν π.χ., στα 60 καρέ, θα βλέπαμε επιτέλους κίνηση με καθαρά φόντα στα pannings της κάμερας, στα 72 καρέ τα πράγματα θα ήταν ακόμα καλύτερα, ενώ στα 90 καρέ, δεν το συζητώ πια κύριοι, θα βλέπατε κίνηση που θα μαζεύατε τους τραπεζίτες σας από το πάτωμα! :eek: :eek: :eek:
 

LUXMAN

Senior Member
19 June 2006
399
Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΩΤΗΣ ΒΟΓΙΑΤΖΑΚΗΣ said:
Δεν υπάρχει μεγαλύτερη αλήθεια από αυτή!

Και μην περιμένετε φυσικά, ότι ακόμα και 1080 προβολέα να πάρετε που να αναγνωρίζει αυτόματα τα 1080p/24fps (λέγεται ότι το bluray της Pioneer θα είναι το πρώτο με τέτοια έξοδο και HDMI 1.3) και να κλειδώνει αυτόματα στα 48Hz, θα πάρετε καμμιά αξιοπρεπή κίνηση! Απλώς τα πράγματα θα είναι ελαφρά βελτιωμένα, αλλά τίποτα το ιδιαίτερο.

Όσο παραμένουν τα αρχικά 24 καρέ, δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να δούμε αξιοπρεπή κίνηση. Αν οι κάμερες τραβούσαν π.χ., στα 60 καρέ, θα βλέπαμε επιτέλους κίνηση με καθαρά φόντα στα pannings της κάμερας, στα 72 καρέ τα πράγματα θα ήταν ακόμα καλύτερα, ενώ στα 90 καρέ, δεν το συζητώ πια κύριοι, θα βλέπατε κίνηση που θα μαζεύατε τους τραπεζίτες σας από το πάτωμα! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Θα ηθελα να σας μεταφερω μια εμπειρια μου .

Πριν κανενα διμηνο ειδα τον OPTOMA 72 με PIONEER DV-989 . Η κινηση ηταν κακιστη . Σε βαθμο που ποτε δεν θ αγοραζα μια τετοια "εικονα" .
Καποια στιγμη εκτος απο καποια καλωδια ρευματος δοκιμασαμε και ενα line conditioner της EXACT POWER . :eek: :eek: Η κινηση εγινε ομαλοτατη !!!!! Βεβαια το μαλλι της ΕXACT POWER κοστιζει περι τα 3000 ευρω :blink:.

Για ψαξτε το βρε παιδια λιγο . Μηπως υπαρχει και αλλος δρομος για την οπτικη νιρβανα ;;;;
 
Last edited:

sfortis

Administration Team
Staff member
3 August 2006
11,409
t3.large
Re: Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

LUXMAN said:
Θα ηθελα να σας μεταφερω μια εμπειρια μου .

Πριν κανενα διμηνο ειδα τον OPTOMA 72 με PIONEER DV-989 . Η κινηση ηταν κακιστη . Σε βαθμο που ποτε δεν θ αγοραζα μια τετοια "εικονα" .
Καποια στιγμη εκτος απο καποια καλωδια ρευματος δοκιμασαμε και ενα line conditioner της EXACT POWER . :eek: :eek: Η κινηση εγινε ομαλοτατη !!!!! Βεβαια το μαλλι της ΕXACT POWER κοστιζει περι τα 3000 ευρω :blink:.

Για ψαξτε το βρε παιδια λιγο . Μηπως υπαρχει και αλλος δρομος για την οπτικη νιρβανα ;;;;

sorry αλλα αυτο δυσκολεύομαι υπερβολικά να το πιστέψω!!!

Μάλλον και κάτι άλλο θα έγινε μαζί με την εφαρμογή του line conditioner...:ernaehrung004:
 

Babis K.

Super Moderator
Staff member
17 June 2006
24,962
Αθήνα
Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

LUXMAN said:
Για ψαξτε το βρε παιδια λιγο . Μηπως υπαρχει και αλλος δρομος για την οπτικη νιρβανα ;;;;

Μαρίνο, αν κάποιος καλός άνθρωπος βρεθεί να μας διαθέσει ένα τέτοιο μηχανάκι (ή κάτι αντίστοιχο) για δοκιμούλες πολύ ευχαρίστως να το ψάξουμε να δούμε τι παίζει.
Φαντάζομαι να έπιασες το υπονοούμενο.
icon6.gif
icon10.gif
 

takisot

Μέλος Δ.Σ.
Staff member
17 June 2006
24,837
Παλλήνη
Παντως, αν διορθωσε κατι, σημαινει οτι το ρευμα της συγκεκριμενης εγκαταστασης, πρεπει να ειχε χοντρο προβλημα.
 
17 June 2006
20,846
Αθήνα
Εντάξει εγώ παίρνω την εκδοχή ότι κάνει διαφορά και φαίνεται.

Μου λέτε πως θα πείσετε κάποιον που δίνει 3000 ευρώ για έναν προβολέα, να δώσει άλλα τόσα για line conditioner;:chinscratch:

Καλά δεν το συζητάω αν κάνει ο προβολέας 1500 ευρώ.....-bye-
 

Browser

AVClub Fanatic
17 June 2006
10,575
ΟΙΚΟΝΟΜΟΥ ΤΑΣΟΣ said:
Εντάξει εγώ παίρνω την εκδοχή ότι κάνει διαφορά και φαίνεται.

Μου λέτε πως θα πείσετε κάποιον που δίνει 3000 ευρώ για έναν προβολέα, να δώσει άλλα τόσα για line conditioner;:chinscratch:

Καλά δεν το συζητάω αν κάνει ο προβολέας 1500 ευρώ.....-bye-


Τασο ειναι πολυ απλο, απλα δεν γινεται.....να τον πεισεις εννοω!
 

LUXMAN

Senior Member
19 June 2006
399
Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

Μπάμπης Κολέζας said:
Μαρίνο, αν κάποιος καλός άνθρωπος βρεθεί να μας διαθέσει ένα τέτοιο μηχανάκι (ή κάτι αντίστοιχο) για δοκιμούλες πολύ ευχαρίστως να το ψάξουμε να δούμε τι παίζει.
Φαντάζομαι να έπιασες το υπονοούμενο.
icon6.gif
icon10.gif


Μπαμπη θα φροντισω ταχιστα να να εξασφαλισω ενα μηχανακι για:popcorn:δοκιμη .
Αυτο ανηκει σ ενα φιλο μου . Μεχρι στιγμης δεν συνεργαζομαι με τον αντιπροσωπο της EXACT POWER ( ισως το επιδιωξω ) .

Συντομα θα εχετε νεα μου ! ;)
 

Babis K.

Super Moderator
Staff member
17 June 2006
24,962
Αθήνα
Απάντηση: Έτσι ακριβώς!...

LUXMAN said:
Μπαμπη θα φροντισω ταχιστα να να εξασφαλισω ενα μηχανακι για:popcorn:δοκιμη .
Αυτο ανηκει σ ενα φιλο μου . Μεχρι στιγμης δεν συνεργαζομαι με τον αντιπροσωπο της EXACT POWER ( ισως το επιδιωξω ) .

Συντομα θα εχετε νεα μου ! ;)


icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
Έγραψες..... Περιμένουμε νέα σου...
 

LUXMAN

Senior Member
19 June 2006
399
Ο φιλος μας ο Argi συμφωνει να μου , μας δανεισει το EXACT POWER του ωστε να το δοκιμασουμε .
Μπαμπη πες μου πως θα γινει και που .
 

argi

Banned
17 July 2006
7,032
salmonela
τωρα για το 1.3 να ακονιζω το κοφτακι για αυτο που εχω η να του κανω μια εξαχνωση και να το κανω πρωτη υλη για καταπλασμα
 

Babis K.

Super Moderator
Staff member
17 June 2006
24,962
Αθήνα
LUXMAN said:
Ο φιλος μας ο Argi συμφωνει να μου , μας δανεισει το EXACT POWER του ωστε να το δοκιμασουμε .
Μπαμπη πες μου πως θα γινει και που .

Ok, Μαρίνο... Σ' ευχαριστώ πολύ, κι εσένα και τον Argi..
Mολις λασκάρουμε λίγο θα το κανονίσουμε.